Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien
Wedmore is a large village and civil parish in the county of Somerset, England. It is situated on raised ground, in the Somerset Levels between the River Axe and River Brue, often called the Isle of Wedmore. It forms part of Sedgemoor district. The parish consists of three main villages: Wedmore, Blackford and Theale, with the 17 hamlets of Bagley, Blakeway, Clewer, Crickham, Cocklake, Heath House, Latcham, Little Ireland, Middle Stoughton, Mudgley, Panborough, Sand, Stoughton Cross, Washbrook, West End, West Ham and West Stoughton. The parish of Wedmore has a population of 3,318 according to the 2011 census.
Its facilities include a medical and dental practice, pharmacy, butcher's, a village store with off licence, three pubs, restaurant, café and several other local shops. It is 4 miles (6 km) south of Cheddar, 7 miles (11 km) west of the city of Wells and 7 miles (11 km) north west of Glastonbury.
Centwine gained control of the area in 682 and named it 'Vadomaer' after one of the Saxon leaders Vado the famous. After winning the Battle of Ethandun, Alfred the Great caused the Viking leader Guthrum and his followers to be baptised at Aller and then celebrated at Wedmore. After this the Vikings withdrew to East Anglia.
The Treaty of Wedmore is a term used by some historians inferred for the events in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, outlining how in 878 the Viking leader Guthrum was baptised and accepted Alfred the Great as his godfather. No such treaty still exists but there is a document that is not specifically linked to Wedmore that is a Treaty of Alfred and Guthrum. Alfred then left Wedmore in his will to his son Edward the Elder.
Wedmore was part of the hundred of Bempstone. Earthworks from a complex of buildings, including a hall and chapel, surrounded by a moat, have been identified. The site is believed to have been a bishop's palace demolished by John Harewel in the 1380s.
In 1853 a hoard of 200 silver coins dating from the Saxon period was found in the churchyard. In 1988 a Saxon ring, made of copper alloy with a unique knot design and dating from the 6th or 7th century, was found in the village by Tim Purnell. It has been authenticated by the British Museum and a modern copy made by local jeweller Erica Sharpe.
According to the 1086 Domesday Book, Wedmore/Wetmore was one of the holdings of the Bishop of Wells with 18 cottagers, woodlands, pasture and two fisheries.
In the medieval period, Wedmore was the centre for the surrounding agricultural area, with weekly markets as well as a larger annual one. The market cross dates from the 14th century.
In the 17th century Dr John Westover built a mental hospital to which patients came from all over the West Country. This is believed to have been England's first private lunatic asylum. The doctor is thought to have treated his patients compassionately, ensuring that they had luxuries such as playing cards and tobacco. He kept a record of the ailments of Wedmore people over a period of 15 years.
The original post office in Church Street opposite the church itself, dates from Georgian times, while the Old Vicarage was built at the end of the 15th century. The George Hotel was a 16th-century coaching inn. John Tonkin built a fashionable house, in the Italianate style, which is now the pharmacy.
In 1799 Hannah More established a Sunday school for children in Wedmore in the face of opposition from the vicar and local gentry.
Wedmore's market cross was moved roughly 100 yards along The Borough in the 1830s to allow widening of the high street.
Between 1881 and 1898 the Reverend Hervey produced the Wedmore Chronicle which gives a picture of the people and area at the time.
In late 2018, Strongvox Homes commissioned the development of 35 new houses to the east of Wedmore First School Academy on Blackford Road, with a completion date of early 2020. The scheme comes in the wake of a previous application to build 60 homes opposite the school and 18 opposite Westholme Farm, also on Blackford Road. The development plans were called "ludicrous" and "unnecessary" by residents concerned about the strain placed on infrastructure in the Wedmore region. Wedmore Parish Council supported the development, saying "The neighbourhood plan will provide an element of affordable housing, which is much-needed in the village."
Geographische Breite: 51.2258663, Geographische Länge: -2.8114271
Treffer 1 bis 4 von 4
|1||Banwell, Charity - wife of||geschätzt 1751||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||I10755|
|2||Banwell, Edmond||4 Dez 1709||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||I10756|
|3||Banwell, John||geschätzt 1747||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||I10754|
|4||Banwell, Richard||28 Mrz 1784||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||I10752|
Treffer 1 bis 2 von 2
|1||Banwell, Edmund||15 Mrz 1726||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||I10758|
|2||Coome, Agnes||20 Jun 1695||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||I10761|
Treffer 1 bis 6 von 6
|1||Banwell / Banwell||16 Feb 1708||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||F3814|
|2||Banwell / Coome||7 Jan 1654||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||F3815|
|3||Banwell / Newton||28 Mai 1810||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||F3811|
|4||Bunn / Feare||25 Jun 1709||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||F3820|
|5||Coome / Marten||22 Jan 1622||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||F3816|
|6||Marten / Pytt||22 Jan 1597||Wedmore, Somerset, England, Großbritannien||F3817|